Visit from Annet Nadunga (University of Kyambogo, Uganda)

News

Annet Nadunga recently came to Leeds for a two-week academic mentoring visit funded by The Spalding Trust. The Trust’s aim is the ‘promotion of ethical, philosophical and religious education, as far as possible throughout the world, through the support of inter-religious study to promote mutual understanding and respect’.

While in Leeds, Annet attended lectures of Upper-Level Undergraduate as well as Masters modules, used the library, made a presentation in the Centre for Religion and Public Life seminar series, and engaged with postgraduates and academic staff. Thank you for your visit, Annet! Please come back!

Andrea Still and Annet Nadunga.

Tell us a little about yourself!

I am Annet Nadunga, a second-year PhD student from Kyambogo University in Kampala, Uganda. My field of study is Biblical Studies (Old Testament). I am examining the concept of a good (noble) wife in Proverbs 31:10-31, in relation to the African traditional and cultural understanding of a good wife in the context of modernity and postmodern ideologies.

My research looks at the understanding of an ideal wife from different religious views and perspectives and how some of these conflicting ideologies can be read and interpreted to form a uniform standard of judging a good wife. It aims at promoting peace and harmony in marriages/families which is a core value in almost every religion.

Johanna Stiebert and Annet Nadunga visit York.

How did you like Leeds and the University of Leeds? What memories will you take home with you?

My brief experience in Leeds and most especially the University has been of great impact to my academic career. Being my first time in the UK, I found everything amazing: the calm ambience of the University, the well-equipped library, and the old beautiful buildings. My interaction with some of the students and members of staff from the Centre for Religion and Public life left me mesmerized by their warm reception and readiness to help. It has been a great experience and I have a lot of good to tell about my visit. I look forward to coming again because UK and Leeds specially is the best.

A visit to Mother Shipton's Cave and the petrifying waters in Knaresborough.